DIY Roman Shade {Tutorial}

4.9K Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 58 Pin It Share 4.9K Google+ 2 LinkedIn 0 Email -- 4.9K Flares ×

Thank you for visiting Blissfully Ever After! If you subscribe via Email, you’ll receive the latest and hottest DIY projects and tips sent straight to your inbox, for FREE! Join the other thousands who have subscribed today!

DIY Blind

In the new year, one of my 2013 home goals is to complete projects that were started but unfinished {can we procrastination here…ahem} from 2012. I like to think of myself as organized and put together and….but when it comes down to it, I like to take on a lot of projects…like every time I’m on Pinterest I start a new project and then rarely do all of them get finished. SO, long story short, I’m happy to report that all of my unfinished projects from the nursery, main bathroom, and laundry room are FINISHED! Today, I am going to show you how I was able to finish the main bathroom by making a DIY Roman Shade {tutorial} with a Target curtain panel and cheap-o mini blinds!

DIY-Roman-Shades

In case you want to make your own, you will need the following supplies:

*1″ slat mini blinds {we picked ours up at Lowes for around $5} in the size you need for your window {our window needed at least a 29″ blind because I wanted the blind to be an inch bigger than our window on each side which measured 27″}.
* Fabric- You want to make sure and purchase enough fabric to cover your blind and then have 3″ extra fabric left over on each side of the blind. For our window, I needed 2 yards of fabric. I found my fabric from a curtain panel at Target {I just looked online and don’t see it offered anymore…sorry!}
*Fabric glue
*Scissors
*Iron

Step One:

Take your mini blinds and lay them on a flat surface fully extended…preferably tile or wood flooring or a large craft table. Now this is where you can customize your roman shade. Everyone’s shade will be slightly different depending on the size of their window and how far apart they want each slat. This is where you will begin to cut slats out of your mini blind leaving ONLY the  slats that will be staying and being glued to your fabric. MAKE SURE NOT TO CUT ALL OF THE SLATE OFF like me…not like I did that on my first try not thinking…or anything! You will also cut all of the “ladder looking” strings as well but make sure to the leave the thicker middle string that connects the top and bottom of your mini blinds.**You can make the slate you will be keeping with a pencil or marker so you will remember not to cut them.

I ended up keeping 5 slate for our roman shade. Since the length of my fabric is 42″ inches, I spaced out the slats every 7  inches.

{Sorry I am a goof and forgot to take pictures of this step…I got a little excited…but if you scroll down you can see how I have my mini blind set up after cutting the slats, removing them, and getting it ready for the following steps}.

Step Two:

No Sew Roman Shade

Now you will lay out your fabric on a flat surface to cut it. Side note: If you are doing a no sew curtain, then I recommend ironing a 1/2″ hem around the perimeter of your fabric and glue it with fabric glue. This will give your shade a finished/professional look. You can also sew a 1/2″ hem using a sewing machine as well. After you’ve created a nice hem, lay your blind on top of your fabric and move to step 3.

Roman Shades DIY

Here my mini blind is laying centered on my fabric after I hemmed the fabric with fabric glue. I’ve spaced it evenly so there is about 3″ of fabric all the way around my mini blind.

Roman Shade DIY-Blissfully Ever After-www.blissfullyeverafter.net

All of my slats are towards the bottom of the mini blind…don’t worry we will glue them next. Side note: do you see that little “button” on the base of the mini blind? That can pop off allow you to trim the middle cords that connect the top and bottom of the blind down to the desired length of your window. You will just want to make sure and retie a not and pop back on the button to secure the cord in place.

Step Three:

Now it’s time to glue. A couple tips I have for you during this step is to make sure that your blind is centered on the fabric {I know it sounds like a no brainer but sometimes the blind can shift during the gluing process}. Glue the fabric to the top edge of the blind first so that everything will be nice and tight and centered. Make sure not to glue fabric over the sides of the top bar of the blind because you will need to install the blind onto the brackets in the window. You also want to make sure not to glue down any of the cords, particularly the one that lifts the blind up and down!

DIY Roman Shades

Glue the slats to the fabric and then let the glue dry for about 15-20 minutes. I recommend lying something heavy on top of the slats while they are drying to make sure the glue sticks nicely to your fabric. Big books will do the trick!

DIY Roman Shade

Now you can glue the bottom piece of fabric up and over the bottom part of the mini blind  {the base} and let it dry.

Roman Shade Tutorial

Step Four:

Finish off your DIY Roman Shade by ironing the sides of the fabric so the edges are nice and crisp.

You’re done!

You should have something that looks like this….

DIY Curtains

I have been looking for fabric to complete this project for awhile and after much searching online…I came across a curtain panel at Target and knew it was the fabric I’d been searching for. It was perfect and coordinates with my shower curtain perfectly!

How to Make a Roman Shade

Make a Roman Shade

Let’s take a trip down memory lane and see how this bathroom window has progressed over the past 5 years….

DIY Curtain

I am just in LOVE with the results! Honestly, what I truly love about this DIY Roman Shade is that I was able to get the exact look I wanted for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a custom roman shade from a retailer. This project took about 2 hours to complete from start to finish but it was well worth it!

Total cost for this project = $24

DIY Blind

Are you looking to make your own DIY Roman Shade? If so, where will you be putting it? What fabric will you use? Let us know in the comments below and I wish you the best of luck on your project!

Cheers!

Check out more projects from this space:

Complete Bath Makeover for $1,500
Knockoff Pottery Barn Picture Frames {Revamped}
Spring Cleaning Challenge- The Bathroom!

::Link Love::

Living Well Spending Less  //  Tatertots and Jello  //  My Repurposed Life
Making Home Base  //  Serenity You  //  It’s Overflowing  //  Nifty Thrifty Things  //  Suburbs Mama  //
The CRAFT Blog  //  Home Stores A2Z  //  Today’s Creative Blog //  Not Just a Housewife  //
Chef in Training  //  Bowl Full of Lemons  //  Domestically Speaking  //  Savvy Southern Style  //
Design, Dining & Diapers  //  House of Hepworths  //  Stone Gable  //  Common Ground  //  36th Avenue  //
The Shabby Nest  //  Miss Mustard Seed  //  Funky Junk  //  Thrifty Décor Chick

Facebook Pinterest Instagram Twitter Google+ YouTube Image Map

Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)

Comments

This is an awesome tutorial – thanks! I’m really loving roman shades lately, and this is a great budget-friendly option that’s custom. Great work!

• says

Thanks, Chaney! I totally love that it was budget friendly too! One comment I will make is that next time I make one, I plan to use white fabric on the back of the patterned fabric to make it look more polished and give it an even more custom look, finished look. Thanks for stopping by!
      xo,

2. Brittany suell says

I LOVE THIS!! I’m about to move into a new house and will def saw this tutorial to come back to!! Makes it look so easy! Thanks for the step by step!

• says

You’re welcome, Brittany! Good luck on making yours and let me know if you have any questions during the process.
      Cheers!

So lovely and a fabulous tutorial! I will have to try this for my ensuite bathroom. Thanks so much for visiting The Happy Housie earlier… you asked about the hooks in our laundry/mud room and I wanted to tell you that they are from Home Depot, of all places:) We have matching ones in two other places in our home….they come in black and a nickel/chrome type of finish. Glad to find your amazing blog!
    Krista @thehappyhousie

• says

Thank you, Krista!!
      I will have to go to Home Depot and see if ours carries them…they are lovely :) Glad I found your blog too, you have great ideas! Have a great week!
      xo,

Applause… applause!!!!! I’m just giddy over this idea!! As we will shortly be moving into a little cottage, I will be putting my touches all over it. Out with the old and in with the new! So, you know I will be all over this window treatment for my home! Applause… cheers… wooohooooo!!!

These are beautiful, and your instructions are awesome. I’ve been too scared to attempt any sort of roman shade, but I think I’m going to give it a shot now. Thanks!

6. Linda Hollander says

I LOVE this, but I’ve never done anything like this before and I’d like to know what you used for glue.

Thanks.

7. Matt G says

Hi Jennifer, do you put glue on the whole slat or just the parts you tuck under the hem? Awesome tutorial! I’ll send you my finished product pics!!

Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a
    few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

You are so awesome! I do not believe I’ve read through something like that before. So wonderful to find another person with genuine thoughts on this topic. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that is required on the web, someone with some originality!

And beach wedding, of course, is one of the most adorable choices
    for you. English may appeal if you’re looking for something a little crisper and cleaner than the typical script fonts. The cake designer subtly incorporated some of the sea creatures from the aquarium into the dessert.

11. Nicole says

I love this! I am going to try it by using some old black out blinds I have. Do you think the glue will be strong enough to hold heavier fabric?

Hello! I love these! I have a couple questions. First, what kind of fabric did you use? And I see that you said you would add white fabric to the back…like a black out type liner or just a layer of white cotton fabric? How would you attack the two pieces of fabric together? Thanks so much!

Just found your blog. I’m enjoying wandering through and reading this and that! I love this shade idea. It makes a custom Roman shade accessible for every budget. That’s a home run in my book! Great post!

14. Merlyn Corcoran says

Please be aware that these instructions do not comply with the current corded window covering safety standards. Exposed cords pose a strangulation risk to young children and pets.

15. Connie says

Jennifer, thanks for the great tutorial. The photos really makes it much easier to understand. I have a couple of places I would love to use Roman Shades. However, I have the same question as Triana which is: if using a lining, how do you attach both fabrics so both will fold correctly when raised. One fabric I plan to use is actually a curtain panel which is the same as the comforter in that bedroom. Also, another shade will need to have blackout lining so could you let me know how I handle the two layers of fabric? Thanks and I am going to look at some of your other projects now.

16. jamie-lynn bernard says

Hi! Could you please let me know:

1. could i use a hot glue gun to attach the slats to the fabric?
    2. do i glue the WHOLE slat down or just the part that goes under the fabric?

I’d like to start this asap for my daughter’s new room. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!
    Jamie-Lynn

• says

Hey Jamie-lynn,

I think you could use a hot glue gun, however, I would be careful that the glue doesn’t show through the fabric from the other side. Also, going with this method…I’m not sure how well the shade would hold up, but it’s definitely worth a try!

You will want to glue down the entire slat along the fabric, just make sure you don’t glue down the string that will lift the shade up and down.

Good luck! I bet it will look adorable in your daughter’s new room :)
      ~Jennifer

“I’ll immediately clutch your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me recognise so that I may subscribe. Thanks.”

18. Jenn says

I have been wanting to try making my own roman shades for a while now. Thank you do much for such an easy to follow tutorial! They came out fantastic and I will definitely be making more! :)

Often I don’t examine posting about information sites, however want to point out that this write-up pretty pressured myself to have a look from along with do it! A person’s crafting preference is stunned myself. Thank you, incredibly fantastic report.

20. Patrice says

Thanks for this, Jennifer. I will use this tutorial to make a roman shade for the window over my bathtub. Does anyone know if the steam from a bathroom affects the glue? I will be using a waterproof cloth (not vinyl) shower curtain for the fabric and wondered if anyone has used one of those before. Thanks, all.

Trackbacks