How to Paint a Door {without brush marks}

4.6K Flares Twitter 5 Facebook 18 Pin It Share 4.6K Google+ 0 LinkedIn 1 Email -- 4.6K Flares ×
While painting my front door it occurred to me that I should put together a tutorial to show an easy way on how to paint a door without brush marks, because sometimes this can be challenging!
Join our community on Facebook to see more decorating and DIY project tips and tricks HERE!
Our entryway has received quite the transformation since we moved in our home about 4 years ago. It started as a yellow blah space, lacking personality and design.
Here is what you saw when you walked into our house 4 years ago….
To see the transformation on this space, visit this post: Entryway Makeover
Here are some other projects that took place in this space that you might be interested in checking out:
After adding wainscoting, painting the walls Nomadic Desert, changing out some of the décor and giving the space an overall updated feel, this is what our entryway turned into….
We loved our new entryway! It felt like a completely new house when you walked in. I think the most dramatic change was adding the wainscoting which instantly gave the space class and style. This was an inexpensive DIY project and I will be doing a tutorial on this soon.
So, even though we loved our new entryway, both the Hubbs and I were sick of staring at the beige door that seemed to run into the walls because the colors were similar. It was time to make the front door stand out! I had some leftover black paint from our bathroom remodel that I was able to use; making this project cost $0! I love the sound of that!
Here are my tips and tricks to painting any door like a pro!
Before you began painting, remove the door handle and then check to see if your door is currently painted. Why is this important? Because, you will need to determine if the door was previously painted with oil-based or latex paint. The rule of thumb is this….you can paint oil-based over oil-based and latex over latex but not latex over oil-based. So, determine which type of paint was used previously and then purchase/use the proper paint this time around. Trust me, it will be much easier if you use the right product!
Tip: To test your door and see if an oil-based or latex paint was used, use some Denatured Alcohol on a test spot. If the paint comes off, it is latex. If it doesn’t, it is oil-based.

The next step is to PRIME! Yes, priming is essential is achieving a professional, brush mark free finish. I prefer Zinser primer.

This product will help create an even finish, levels out imperfections, adheres well to glossy paints, and creates the perfect base for your paint, giving you a professional finish.

There are a variety to choose from depending on whether you care covering oil-based, latex, or stain, so make sure to pay attention to the label when making your purchase.
Even with primer, it is important to paint in the right direction to ensure a flawless finish. Here is my guide on how to paint like a pro!
Don’t forget to pin this…you don’t want to forget!
#1= Prime all of the “trim” on the door using a good quality angled brush. I prefer Shurline brushes because they give me an excellent finish and clean up easily with Basic H and water. But Purdy is a great brand as well. I do recommend using an angled brush though.
#2, 3 and 4- Prime all of the “boxed out” areas of the door and areas 3 and 4 going in the correct directions like the picture above shows using a foam roller.
After the door is all primed you can begin painting. YAY!
Tip: Professional painters use a product called Floetrol which helps to thin out the paint and keep it smooth during application. This is how that professional finish is achieved.

Prep your paint area, mix in Floetrol with your paint and begin apply it following the same directions that you did for the primer. I chose to use a semi-gloss finish since the front door receives a lot of love and I wanted the paint to hold up well.

The color we used is called Kettle Black and it was actually a primer/paint in one from BEHR’s premium paint line.

If you notice brush marks or roller marks at all during application, just use a fine grit sanding block and lightly sand the door in between coats. You will probably apply 2-3 coats to achieve a great finish.
Let paint thoroughly dry {you may have to install the door handle in between drying times and applying coats, so just be prepared for this} before installing door hardware.
If you are like me and have Basic H on hand, you wouldn’t have to tape of the glass because Basic H will take the paint right up and is easy peasy clean up!
Lastly, stand back and enjoy your beautiful work and new door!
Here is how our painted front door turned out….
I hope you found this tutorial helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at blissfullyeverafter3{at}gmail{dot}com or leave a comment below.
Hope you have a great day!

Facebook Pinterest Instagram Twitter Google+ YouTube Image Map

Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)

Comments

The door looks amazing! Thanks for all the great tips and for linking to the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party. I’m featuring this on my blog today.

@Parents of a Dozen- Thank you! We had toyed around with the idea of painting/replacing all of our baseboards throughout our home to white but the problem is….we paid for wood blinds when we moved in and they match the current trim, so it would be a BIG project and possibly expensive to switch everything at this point…including interior doors. If this ends up being our “forever home,” then we will switch them out. I too agree, that white would look MUCH better!

• says

It’s actually kind of nice to see the wainscoting against the wood trim. I have the same trim in my house and like you said we don’t know if this is our forever home so painting it white would be so much work. This give me inspiration to add it to our house! Your entry looks great! Thanks so much, cant wait for the tutorial.

• says

Thanks for your feedback Courtney. I really have had a hard time with the trim in our house, but I figured that unless we decided to paint it or replace it…it wasn’t changing so I might as well work with what we had. Adding in the wainscotting and other wood to the walls throughout our home has made a big improvement. I am sure yours will look great!!
        cheers,

3. Peg says

We changed our wood-look baseboards to white. Replaced all down stairs. Priming and painting upstairs. Your wood blinds would still work with white trim and the white trim would give your foyer/rooms a finished look. Love the black door. Great job.

4. shanel says

Awesome! I’ve been trying to figure out what color I want my front door, now I’ve decided…black! I’m even going to paint my walls the same as your pic. Love the color scheme. Thanks for the idea!

5. Ashleigh says

Is your door wooden or steel? Will this make a difference in the results? I have a steel door that I’m dying to paint!

Thanks for the tutorial. I appreciated the advice. Angled brush….what a great suggestion! You did a great job-am surprised you haven’t painted your trim and baseboards white yet. It would really complete your look.

• says

Thanks, Lisa! Glad you found the tutorial helpful. Yes, an angled brush works wonders and helps to get into the tiny spots along the trim pieces. I have talked a lot about why we have chosen not to paint our trim and doors in our current home in previous posts, but in case you missed them, this is not our forever house…we will be building within the next year or so, so we have decided not to paint or replace doors/trim in this house. Thanks for stopping by. Cheers!

7. Reanna says

Love the door… and love the wood trim with it all…. I’d keep it… gives the room more dimension.

• says

Thanks, Reanna! I’ve been hearing from my readers more lately that they like the wood trim, so I appreciate your sweet comment. Unless we end up not moving, we plan to keep the trim as is, so we’re trying to work with it as best as possible. Thanks for stopping by!
      xo, Jennifer

I think that is among the such a lot significant
    info for me. And i’m glad studying your article. However wanna remark on few general things, The site taste is great, the articles is in point of fact great : D. Good task, cheers

9. Julie says

Is the casing an outside trim also black or is it white? Painting our new door today and can’t decide whether to paint the casing and outside trim black, as well, or go with white. Our siding is white and shutters (and now front door) are black.

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this
    blog loading? I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

University Of Southamptons Podiatry Masters Is Uks First To Accept Novice Students and
    nauka angielskiego chicago. University Of Southamptons Podiatry Masters Is Uks First To Accept Novice Students

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This sort
    of clever work and exposure! Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve you guys to blogroll.

I am really loving the theme/design of your weblog.
    Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems?

A small number of my blog visitors have complained
    about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.

Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?

I am that’s one of many a whole lot information in my situation. And i’m contented mastering ones article. Although really should feedback with a number of standard troubles, The internet site taste is excellent, the particular articles or blog posts is due to truth fantastic : D. Perfectly process, cheers

By typing “boxes Chicago” into Google or any of the other search engines
    like Yahoo or Bing, you will find that there are a couple companies that
    makes crucial purchasing decisions of which boxes over the internet in Chicago is relevant.

While most Android devices include Bluetooth, which will enable you
    to stream music from your Android device to any Bluetooth
    capable device, not all Android smartphone owners have
    the needed Bluetooth module on their home or car stereos.
    Such Major contracting facilities in China has also supported many sub- contractors , who build-up to hundreds of companies whom
    offered sub manufacturing for component parts or services like software integration to final end product to
    be assembled by the Bigger Manufacturing plant.

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed!
    Very useful information specially the closing part :) I deal with such information a lot.
    I was looking for this certain information for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

I was very happy to find this site. I need to to thank you for ones time for this
    wonderful read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it and
    I have you book-marked to see new information on your site.

Your style is unique in comparison to other folks I’ve read stuff from.
    Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this blog.

Good day I am so happy I found your blog, I really found
    you by accident, while I was searching on Digg
    for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I
    also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have saved it and
    also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal
    more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

And if you are planning to make such an investment, pay
    considerable attention to the transformation that your property needs in the case of interior
    remodeling. More than 200 firefighters responded to the fire, and many Chicago Firefighters returned to the scene of the blaze several times
    on Saturday to monitor “hot spots. Green roofs are types of roofs which contain moss, grass, and other kinds of plants growing on the surface.

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading
    it, you may be a great author.I will always bookmark your
    blog and definitely will come back from now on. I want to encourage you to continue your great writing,
    have a nice evening!

Through this you will learn techniques to stabilize the patient and
    assure swifter recovery. This kind of certification is beneficial for nurses and doctors working in pediatrics and paramedics health
    caare sectors. The Self- paced courses for home
    use are the AHA CPR and Infnt Anytime Personal Learningg Programs.

Trackbacks