Budget Friendly Entryway Makeover

298 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 298 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 Email -- 298 Flares ×
I was looking to makeover our front entryway but didn’t want to spend a ton of money. So, I put together a plan that would trade out some of our existing decor pieces, change the color scheme and create a space for storage.
Entryway BEFORE
Here is our entryway BEFORE.  Not horrible, but it was lacking personality, color, and our true style.
Note: I sold this table and mirror set and will be selling the other decor items in our yard sale this summer. This way we were able to use some of these funds towards the new space.

We started by painting this area a neutral color called Nomadic Desert on the top 3/4 of the wall and installed wainscoting on the bottom 1/4 of the wall and painted it out in a white color called Sea Salt. This really made a difference!
Wainscoting
Front Entry
By changing the color it “cleaned up” this space and gave a warmer, welcoming feeling than the yellow color that was on the walls before. Total cost for paint and molding was around $150 {but this also included all of the molding and paint for the living/dining room area as well which you can’t see in this picture}. We installed all of the molding ourselves using a nail gun and miter saw. This saved us a ton of money! We left our existing floor and door trim the original color and this goes to show that you can do these type of projects in your home without having to paint your trim white too. I think it looks great and the trim matches all of the blinds in our house as well, so there is a nice scheme throughout the entire house.
Coat rack
For our storage solution of coats, hats, etc., my Hubby made a coat rack {tutorial on this to come later}. It costs only about $40-50 to make this considering the hooks were the most expensive part. I have seen similar coat racks from Pottery Barn and other retailers costing double or triple this cost. So, I feel we scored a good deal on this project!
Coat rack2
Coat rack3
Coat rack4
We customized the look with beadboard accents, custom made corbels, and trim molding on the top to create a picture shelf. I absolutely love it!
I found the frames at the Craft Warehouse during one of their semi-annual sales and paid about $5 a frame for the large black ones and I found the two smaller frames at the thrift store for $.25-$.50 a piece and then painted them cream and distressed them. Super inexpensive and adds a lot of character to this space. The hooks were found at Lowe’s and were about $3-4 a piece.
Secretary's desk
I found this antique Secretary’s Desk on Craigslist for $50, painted it cream and distressed it and then added a custom scroll print to the drawer insert. I used scrapbook paper and modge-podge to adhere it to the desk. It was super easy and really inexpensive. Maybe $3-5 for the whole project.
Scroll design
I found the beaded knobs at Lowe’s for about $3-4 a piece. My Hubby made this mirror for us using an existing mirror and adding thick trim to the edges, which we painted black. The ceiling light is one we had from another room that we painted black and installed. {I am still debating on whether to change it out with a pendant light if I can find one on Craigslist or at a local thrift store}. I received the candle sticks for free and the candles were about $4 a piece from Joanne’s Fabric at one of their big sales. They smell like yummy vanilla =)I found the little birdie at Craft Warehouse for $2 and I custom made the topiary tree. Love it!
Topiary
I found the urn at Michael’s using a 40% coupon, filled it with foam and moss, I had the sticks from another project that I made into a trunk, and then used a foam ball and boxwood branches that I purchased from Hobby Lobby using 40% off coupons to make the topiary. Total cost was around $35 but the urn is heavy and really classy and the topiary is huge compared to other ones I’ve seen selling for around $35-50. Plus, it feels good to have made it myself =)
Entry floor
I ordered this rug from Ballard Designs during one of their big sales and used an online code to save even more. I believe it cost me around $30 for a 5’x8’ rug. I normally wouldn’t want to spend this much for a rug, but I loved the pattern and new it would fit this space perfectly!
The floors were installed before we moved in. They are travertine and we love them!
Front door
Here is a close-up of the windows on our front door. The front door was installed right before we purchased our house {3 years ago} and it is so pretty! Leaded glass look, which I love! The brushed bronze hardware was also installed before we moved in and we switched out all of the door knobs and hinges in our house to match. It really looks nice and was a relatively inexpensive project because we only have 6 doors in our house {we have a few pocket doors that didn’t need them}.
So there is a look into our inexpensive entryway makeover.
Recap…..
BEFORE
Entryway BEFORE
and AFTER

Entry AFTER
Entry AFTER2
Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out our budget friendly entryway makeover!
With a little time, thrifty shopping, and patience, you can turn a blah space into one you truly love coming home to!
Edited to add {July 2013}
Here is an update of how this space looks currently:
Entryway
Entryway Makeover
Chalkboard paint ideas
diy projects
To see more on this space, including projects and holiday decor visit our Entryway post category HERE

::linking to these parties::
Transformation Thursday somewhat simple button  HookingupwithHoH  Remodelaholic </p> <p><b>Join us every Friday...</b> The Shabby NestChic on a Shoestring Decorating  The Girl CreativeSumo's Sweet StuffKeeping It SimpleThe House in the Roses

Facebook Pinterest Instagram Twitter Google+ YouTube Image Map

Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)

Comments

You did a great job! I love the rack!! I need something like that – a board with about 10 hooks for towels & swim suits. I’m showing my hub – he can do that! Thanks for sharing – nice to meet you! COming from Shabby Chic TT. Was going to follow but looks like blogger is at it again today! Will be back…

Thank ladies for stopping by my blog! Ya, the coat rack was relatively easy to make and made a world of difference in our entryway for both storage and style. I would love to add some vintage numbers above the hooks, so I’m on the lookout for those.

I became followers of both of your blogs…looking forward to staying in touch!
    ~Jennifer

This looks great. I love the black and white pics on the shelf. And what a great idea to reuse a mirror that way. Thanks so much for sharing!

Oh my gosh, is that beautiful or what? I just love what you have done, and you were so creative and saved a bunch of money at the same time! I, too, became a follower of your blog today. Nice job!

Wow, thank you ladies!! I really appreciate your comments and feedback. You know when you are doing a project you get so caught up in the moment of making sure everything looks right and it isn’t until we take a step back to finally enjoy it and take in all of our hard work that we fully appreciate it! At least that’s how I feel sometimes. So, your comments have helped me love this new space that much more =)

Love it all! We just moved to our second home after living in our previous one for over years and we got rid of all our furniture so we’re having fun looking for creative ways to decorate. I like simple and uncluttered, mostly neutrals with a few pops of color. Love the foyer ideas here.
    I look forward to visiting your page.

Great website. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to
    several pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks for your effort!

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this blog.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance”
    between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you
    have done a awesome job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Firefox.
    Superb Blog!

If not, consider getting a small loan from a credit union over 12 months.

Most states let you retain your vehicle provided
    the equity does not exceed several thousand dollars (For instance, in Virginia an individual may
    protect up to $2,000 in equity in his or her vehicle(s)).

If a bankruptcy attorney is going to mislead you to get you as a client,
    how do you think they will handle your case.

ผมอยาก ฉันต้องการ ขอขอบคุณสำหรับการ นี้ ดี อ่าน
    ! ฉัน แน่นอน แน่นอน ความสุข เล็กน้อยของ บิตของ
    มัน ผมได้มี คุณ บันทึกเป็น ที่ชื่นชอบ ตรวจสอบ ใหม่ สิ่งที่คุณ

คำทักทายจาก ฟลอริด้า !

ฉัน เบื่อ ไปน้ำตา เบื่อ ที่ทำงาน ดังนั้นฉัน ตัดสินใจที่จะ ตรวจสอบ
    เรียกดู เว็บไซต์ ของคุณ บล็อก บน iphone ของ ฉันในช่วง พักกลางวัน ผม สนุกกับการ
    ชอบ ข้อมูล คุณ ปัจจุบัน ที่นี่ และไม่สามารถรอ ที่จะดู เมื่อ ฉันได้รับบ้าน
    ฉัน ตกใจ ประหลาดใจ ประหลาดใจ ที่วิธี ที่รวดเร็ว
    รวดเร็ว บล็อกของคุณ โหลดใน มือถือ ของฉัน ..
    ผมไม่ได้ ใช้ WIFI, 3G เพียง ..
    Anyways น่ากลัว ที่ยอดเยี่ยม บล็อก

They can, however, block pores and allow for the build up of
    bacteria, which can adversely affect the skin. If you are allergic to pollen, you should
    not use calendula. Most treatments leave redness on the skin, but these formulas
    leave skin supple and soft because of the botanical extracts contained
    in the forumla.

Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other websites?
    I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would
    love to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would appreciate your work.
    If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me
    an e-mail.

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and
    it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest
    you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next
    articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Excellent blog you have here but I was curious if
    you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked
    about here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other experienced individuals that share
    the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me
    know. Thank you!

Once you have to do the premature ejaculation Kegel exercises.
    For men everything before putting the drug was handed over to kiss
    her or caress her crazy. Are you just give you 4 quick and easy and simple to operate their ejaculatory reflex
    to ejaculate is gone. But keep in mind that there are plenty of
    workouts to choose which premature ejaculation when having sex.
    Well the truth is finding a cure. For anyone
    seriously looking for natural ways.

Therefore, you need to be extremely chill, controlled, and even confident the first time you’re speaking to or seeing your ex.

Instead of sitting around waiting for the phone to ring, get out and exercise.

There are a finite number of designs that you can go through, and upon finding all the
    patterns, you will make serious money.

Tremendous things here. I am very glad to look your post.
    Thank you so much and I am having a look ahead to contact you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

I noticed an advertisement on tv that actually bothered me
    and I puzzled why that it was so disturbing to me. Strength always comes
    through exercise. It will allow you to in determining the
    exact meaning of a scripture.